A basic feedlot mix for boosting weight gain in sheep is whole grain and some minerals. If consistent performance and efficient feed conversion is desired, some attention to the grain mix is necessary. Adding a rumen modifier maintains microbial efficiency. A rumen buffer will stabilise rumen pH. A balanced mineral addition supports the animal’s metabolism and can prevent metabolic disorders.
Requirement for grain-fed sheep
The domestic and export lamb markets require lambs at a set dentition and weight with criteria for fat cover and colour. Controlling the animal’s diet will ensure animals consistently meet the processor’s requirements.
The Meat Standards Australia (MSA) guidelines for eating quality recommend consistent liveweight gain to finish weight. If this can be achieved on pasture then that is OK. However, an energy dense supplement, like grain, will ensure that animal performance is efficient and positive.
Sheep Feedlot Concentrate
Performance Feeds’ concentrate is mixed at 40 kg per tonne of whole or cracked grain. The grain mix can be offered to sheep as a compliment to pasture, silage or good quality hay.
Bovatec® rumen modifier
• Bovatec® is registered for sheep to increase growth rate and efficiency of feed conversion.
• Bovatec® also reduces faecal shedding of coccidial species Eimeria in confined sheep
• Does not have a withholding period for sheep destined for domestic slaughter, nor an established ESI.
Effective rumen buffer
• Contains a strongly alkaline buffer that will stimulate salivation as well as mop up excess H+ ions.
• The combination of saliva and buffer restrict the depression of rumen pH and limit the chance of SARA#
• Rumen and intestinal contraction rely on muscle movement, which in turn relies on calcium.
• Balancing the calcium to the inherently high phosphorous in grain is important to ensure effective absorption.
• A healthy nervous system is important for growing stock. Magnesium reduces anxiety and supports dry matter intake. Trace minerals
• Rapid growth needs the support of a strong immune system. Trace minerals are important for many things, including immunity.
• Selenium and vitamin E work in conjunction as antioxidants. Preventing oxidation at a cellular level reduces inflammation and ensures quality carcass.
Performance Feeds Sheep Feedlot Concentrate is added at a maximum rate of 40 kg per tonne of finished feed.
Suggested introduction and grow-out program.
Always include fresh, clean and cool water. Clean troughs regularly. Provide shade during hot days and wind-breaks during cold winds. Keep pen floors dry, clean and free of excess manure and dust. Incorporate Anipro liquid protein supplement, in an Anipro Sheep Trough, for improved performance. Separate lame, sick or pregnant animals and offer appropriate therapy.
Availability Bag size: 20 kg Pallet size: 1000 kg
Find more interesting articles below.
For producers looking to reduce the methane output of their livestock, Performance Feeds’ organic nutritional supplement OrganiPro contains key ingredients that aid in the reduction of methane emiss...Learn More
Although the quantity of pasture grown may have increased due to above average rainfall and mild conditions, these continued rainfall events has led to the leaching of nutrients, particularly water-so...Learn More
Regarding: Natural Beef Programs and supplement options. Progressively, consumers are demanding proof that products have been produced as claimed and are they are becoming more sensitive to treatments...Learn More
During a 12-month period, there are specific physiological stages a cow progresses through and certain opportunities, challenges and goals we need her to navigate to ensure we optimize our productivit...Learn More
A basic feedlot mix for boosting weight gain in sheep is whole grain and some minerals. If consistent performance and efficient feed conversion is desired, some attention to the grain mix is necessary...Learn More
A top $ combination. Stephen Pearce runs the Telpara Brangus Stud on the Atherton Tablelands of Far North Queensland. The program for his stud bulls prior to sale involves the use of Maxpro and Flexip...Learn More
As I fly back to the US from my most recent trip to Australia, sleep won’t come as my mind is filled with thoughts from the past 10 days of travel, visiting with customers, attending meetings, visit...Learn More
Anipro’s recommended intake is 125ml/100kg of body weight with a minimum intake of 400ml. You need to be sure that you are receiving a return on investment when using an all year round supplementati...Learn More
“It’s been raining for so long.” The words of the classic Dragon song from the 80’s come to mind! The Hume Weir is at 97% and the releases from the dam are currently just under 100,000 megs a ...Learn More
After the header has stripped a paddock, there is still potential to reap some dollars from the crop. Here are a few key points on how to manage stock grazing crop stubble.Learn More
Drop the Performance Feeds team a message and we will be back in touch.